Monday, July 13, 2009

What To Do After Redundancy

Starting again ....

After 8 years at one company and an overall 12+ years working in the field I have decided (helped with a redundancy) to pursue a solo career. A daunting task, where do I start?

First think of a cool name to call myself, company anyway, I am stuck with the rather mundane name my parents gave me. Then make sure no one else has the same thought.

See if I can also get it as a domain name ...... sometimes a little poetic license is required.

Then it is off to start the paper work, luckily all online. In Australia you can't go past Australian Online Company Registration. Quick and easy, I was now the proud owner of ICON IT SUPPORT PTY LTD and an ABN.

Next was the domain, can't be IT support and have no web site! Off to register ..... lots of choices here...... go online and check around. Now www.iconit.com.au is all mine I tells ya.

Create a logo, avoid online templates, they look a bit tacky (clipart), you may want it on flyers and business cards as well as your web site. Good to have something original. Logo Creator is a fun product.

Got a name, got a domain, got a logo ... now to put it on the web. For now I am just using a free host, I don't need much and so far it has not let me down. If you need extra functionality then you might need to pay for it. I can email with PHP and upload web pages with text content, not too difficult.

Create some flyers, pick a subject, don't put too much down, people might not read it. Make it eye catching, there is a lot of info online about effective flyers, I suggest browsing and reading it. .... and some business cards. So far I have not left the comfort of my computer chair.

How will I get paid? Cash would be nice, however you need a bank account. Leave your comfy chair go and talk to your bank (or another bank, shop around) and create a business account.

Now to drum up business, walk the streets dropping off flyers, look into how to improve your web presence, a good start for info let your friends know that from now on they will pay for your expert services.... or at least let others know about you.

Wait for 5 - 10 years and see if you have gone ok.

No comments:

Post a Comment